The 12-day grapefruit diet gets its name from the number of days you stay on the diet and the grapefruit at every meal. The diet consists of a plan that allows a two-day break after twelve days of diet. Even though the Mayo clinic often gets credit for this diet, it is just another urban legend, or shall we say, "cyber legend' in this case. The diet has a rigorous menu to follow for the twelve days you're on it. These food mixtures are supposed to contain magical qualities that cause fat to drop off the body mud down the side of a mountain after a torrential rain.
Let's examine the 12-day grapefruit diet plan.
- 2 large eggs cooked any style
- 1/2 large grapefruit, preferably ruby red or 4 ounces of unsweetened grapefruit juice
- 2 medium cooked slices of bacon
- Grapefruit or 4 ounces of grapefruit juice, unsweetened
- A salad with any type of dressing
- Meat, any amount and any type
- Grapefruit (surprise!) or 4 ounces of unsweetened grapefruit juice
- Meat, any amount or type
- Vegetable, a red or green vegetable cooked or in a salad with seasoning
- Tea or coffee
There are also magical rules to follow on the 12-day grapefruit diet.
- Eat at least the foods on the list, add more of them if you want but eat the minimum. The problem with this rule is that there are no minimum amounts listed. The diet just says meat and you fill in the blank for the amount.
- Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day. This is self-explanatory and any one that tries knows it's difficult and filling.
- Fill up at each meal. Don't leave the table hungry. With the diet allowing as much meat as you can eat, this makes me wonder.
- Make sure you don't adjust the menu and eat every item. It's supposed to burn fat faster with the combinations of food. Here is one area I doubt. The combinations have no scientific reason for weight loss or a pill made from them would be on the market.
- Reduce caffeine. Good advice. Caffeine spikes the blood sugar level and creates food cravings later.
- Don't eat between meals. This is more good advice for the snacker.
- Fry food in butter and use butter generously. The only reason this might be good is feeling of fullness that fat gives you after a meal. Otherwise, if this were a Mayo clinic diet I'd say they were drumming up business for their heart unit.
- Don't eat desserts, bread or white vegetables and sweet potatoes. This part of the 12-day grapefruit diet makes some sense.
- Eat until you're stuffed. The more you eat the more you lose. Wrong! Again, we go back to the magical mixture idea. This trains the body to consume a lot of food and is horrendous for long term planning.
Get rid of all that nasty stuff in your system and Lose 1 Jean Size Every 7 Days!... What nasty stuff? Find out HERE! Top 3 Weight-Loss Programs Reviewed Lose 30 Pounds in 30 Days!